August 30, 2006

For new HP'ers: What is HousingPanic?

With the record traffic we're getting, obviously a lot of new folks have found their way to this little HP corner of the internets (I always loved the use of that word - he he). So let's address the question of 'What is HousingPanic'?

As loyal HP'ers know, this isn't just a housing bubble blog - if you want that go to Ben's boring blog. Some would say this is the Fox News of bubble blogs though - opinionated, sensationalistic, over the top, in search of ratings, stupid, loud, attacking, etc. No matter your view, I hope you never think it "boring" and I hope from time to time it's pretty damn funny.

And I hope you learn something along the way, something that you can use in your daily life, for the better.

Bottom line, this is an opinion blog, one which discusses the buildup and unraveling of the debt-fueled American economic system, with housing speculation at the core. We get into the causes, the effects, the nuances and the players, and try to tie it all together. Here's a recent thread exchange, hope you enjoy and comment away

Keith, I thought this was a housing bubble blog. Why do you always post all this war stuff?

This isn't a housing bubble blog. this is a blog about the unwinding of the debt-fueled, speculative financial bubble, helped along by the continuing blowup of world events, misguided financial policy, and aided by incompetence and corruption in the white house, fed and the REIC.

Houses and real estate happen to be the speculative asset that people bought with tremendous leverage which are now selling off.

If that asset happened to be goat cheese, maybe I would have called the blog "goatcheesepanic". hope that helps

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time it might be cheese

Anonymous said...

if traffic is so high. why do all the anonymous post write like you?

Anonymous said...

hey - it could happen - goat cheese tastes alot better than tulips!

Anonymous said...

BEHOLD! the power of cheese!

you mere mortals are defenceless against is super awesome power!

Anonymous said...

Cheese, the next bubble! Buy Cheese!
CHSE

Anonymous said...

they're not making more goat cheese you know

if you don't buy goat cheese now you may be priced out forever

demographic trends show that millions more will want to eat goat cheese in the future, so prices will never go down

yup, good analogy - it works

Anonymous said...

I think this thread sums up what makes housing panic a great blog

Roccman said...

You go Keith!!!

dot to dot to dot...

see how easy that was?

Now all we need for you to do is at least consider (you don't have to come to the "dark" side)..the possibility that the official 9-11 report is horribly flawed.

Whadda ya say Keith - huh? huh?

Anonymous said...

No, this blog is not boring and wonkish as Ben's. It's not tacky like Fox, though recent Amadinejad=Hitler posts, lend a somwhat Fox/Likkud/Freeper ring. That's OK, though, it's your opinion, your blog. Your tolerance of dissent is commendable. All things are connected - the housing bubble and economy are not discrete entities - so might as well observe social, military, and any other threads as they unravel.
Great blog, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Goat Cheese never goes down, and never goes bad. Future generations will only wish they could have bought goat cheese at these prices. Buy a wedge with leverage, it's the only way to go!

Anonymous said...

and with the upcoming cheese bubble...

"It's different this time"
"Cheese sets a new economic paradigm"
"It's different in this city, and the cheese price will not be affected! Oh, maybe a little correction, but it's your best long term investment!"

Found the blog through a link from another website. I wish I could tell you which one, but it was about 3 weeks ago, and I kind of ended up here by "accident."

I moved to Phx, and found the blog when I first got here. I have read it every day!!!

We came to invest in RE... commercial buildings & SFH trading (NOT flipping or speculating!!) and I think you've helped me save tens or hundreds of thousands of $$$$$.

As I'm learning to say.... MUCHOS GRACIAS, Senor!

Anonymous said...

My cheese broker said a lot of the demand is coming from overseas purchasers of US goat cheese.

My banker said if I bought enough cheese I could open a CELOC.

I'm going to buy all the cheese I can and then resell at a huge mark-up to the people who actually eat cheese.

Anonymous said...

I'm also taking out a CELOC. I'm not just blowing the $$, though. If I put in granite cutting boards and in-ground fondue, I'll make that back plus more when I sell. Right?

My only concern is that Velveeta is getting into the chevre business, and they're putting in a huge cheese development right across the street from me. Man, it seems there are toothpicks with 'for sale' and 'incentives' signs sticking out of every other cheap-looking wedge over there...

'Goat cheese Bubble.' Ewwww.

Anonymous said...

for many would-be sellers, the smell coming from their backsides resembles someone cutting the cheese.

Anonymous said...

What better thing to do while in a panic than to eat?

Why stop at 30% obesity?

Let's leave no skinny behinds!

Anonymous said...

During my college days, I ate about 13 slices of Pizza in one sitting after a bong rip marathon. Let's just say what erupted was some sort of a 'cheese bubble'.

Anonymous said...

Hi Keith. I guess I'm famous here now, LOL. I'm the guy who asked about all the war posts.

Thanks for the explaination--this blog is hilarious! The Amadinejad=Hitler-type posts had me scratching my head, though.

Tee hee.

Anonymous said...

You link to "ben's boring blog" and Osman's but not paper money. Why not? After all, that is where you found the NAR presentation (but had a dead link credit).

Roccman said...

"I guess I'm famous here now"

An ANON famous - that is FREAK'n funny...

U should try stand-up

Anonymous said...

Is this the kind of cheese served at all those wine and cheese parties that you get to go to once you join the "in" crowd and buy a condo in their building or a cool historic "home" in their up and coming neighborhood? I so want to fit in it almost hurts. I would just bleed to attend. I've got my dark rimmed geeky glasses that make me look smarter than I really am ready to go! Have cheese cutter will travel.

Anonymous said...

LMFAO

David said...

Keep up the amazing blogging!

David
Bubble Meter Blog

Anonymous said...

Ben boring blog= bitter renters
HP blog = happy renters

Anonymous said...

i kid you not - I heard yesterday that Maytag (washers co.) has developed the worlds best tasting blue-cheese!!!