1) Stop denying the housing bubble and crash. Be honest with yourself and with your customers. Housing is tanking, prices are falling, inventory has skyrocketed, and it was all a cheap-money-investor-fueled-REIC-corruption-enabled Ponzi Scheme. You can still make money off of people selling and buying houses at the new lower prices. So stop the lying, stop the deception, and just tell the truth. People will respect you more if you do and you'll get more business.
2) Stop supporting the NAR and the corrupt David Lereah. Publicly call for his immediate dismissal and a shake-up of the NAR leadership. Mandate that the NAR change tact and adopt a "no deception, no lying, no exceptions" policy. You have a problem in your own house - clean it up. The organization who leads your profession is now seen by the American people as laughable corrupt and a den of liars. You pay them dues and yet they're costing you money. Are you that stupid?
3) Call for regulation and congressional oversight of your industry. Demand an end to realtor bribery through co-broke or bonus-commission arrangements. Outlaw any kickbacks among builders, mortgage brokers, appraisers and realtors. Your industry is covered in stench - clean it up.
4) Embrace change. Zillow and the internet can be your friend. The MLS should be free to all. You do not deserve 3% of the selling price. Change your fee structure to meet the new market reality. You will quickly go the way of travel agents and buggy whip salesmen if you do not change.
5) Shun your peers who are liars, jerks and as*holes. Athol Kay, Greg Swann, Todd Larsen, Russ Shaw, the list gets longer everyday. There are some good, decent, kind and honest realtors out there amongst the HP readership, I get nice email from them every day, who are too afraid to post. I suggest it's time. Customers don't want to do business with as*holes and liars. Honesty is good for business. Rise up. Cast out your garbage. Clean it up.
6) Ask yourself if what you do for a living, and how you are doing it, is contributing to society. You'll be dead soon enough - was screwing people for a buck while lying, deceiving and conspiring the best way to live your life?
7) Stop using the silly REALTOR(TM) SHOUTING ARROGANT FONT TREATMENT. You're a damn realtor. You're not a doctor. You're not above other professions. People are laughing at you. It's time to change.
I have hope for the realtors of America. Not all million-plus of you are bad people. There's gotta be thousands of realtors out there who are also disgusted with your peers and the state of your profession. Take the lead, clean it up, do good, take a risk, and you'll prosper in the end.
For the best example in the land, look to Osman in Boulder. A tribute to your profession, who has the courage to fight the NAR's deception and corruption, a balanced, truthful and kind HP poster, and as solid a person as you can find.
December 20, 2006
Posted by blogger at 12/20/2006