I'm in the Smokey Mountains in TN this week, yup, strange to be back in the ol' USA. One thing that greeted me for sure here is what I expected - a sea of for sale signs! "Vacation condos!"... "Taking reservations now!"... that kinda thing
I can say, here's my observations from 48 hours back in the States:
* Fox News is sickening. Want to see obvious, disgusting jingoism in action? Then look up at the upper left hand corner of the Fox News screen at the waving American flag under the Live symbol. Now ask yourself why that's there.
* People in TN are very, very, very large
* There seems to be even more retail than I remember. Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Sams Club, you name it. I wonder what they'll do with all the closed stores in the next few years - tear 'em down?
* Man, things are cheap here. My contact solution is 25 cents on the dollar versus the price in London.
* My grandma who lives in Florida is talking about having to sell her place because the insurance is up 60%, the condo fees up 100% and taxes going through the roof. Yup, I told her to cash out and rent
* What, no Cricket scores?
Cheers - talk amongst yourselves here and post article links - I'll try to keep up
July 24, 2006
Posted by blogger at 7/24/2006