June 06, 2006

Forbes housing implosion: The speculative housing craze is crashing from its own excesses


I kinda wish I had named my blog "Housing Implosion" - I think that describes this drama perfectly...

If you still don't believe there's a massive housing bubble that is beginning to deflate, look no further than Toll Brothers. This home builder caters to the mushrooming ranks of the well-to-do who have enough income and assets to laugh off rising interest rates and energy costs. But in the year's first fiscal quarter Toll orders fell 32% from a year earlier. The company blames the fall on cancellations by speculators.

With dreams of huge appreciation dancing in their heads, speculators indeed drove the housing frenzy in the high end. Now that prices are flagging, they are fleeing. These investors and vacation-home buyers accounted for 40% of house sales last year, up from 36% in 2004. A lot of these investors rent out the properties. Despite low-payment interest-only mortgages, they cannot cover their cash outlays with rents, which are depressed by the proliferation of spec houses.

This is the first nationwide housing bubble since the 1920s, and it's driven by three nationwide forces: low interest rates, loose lending practices and the desperate search for a stock substitute after the 2000--02 debacle.

The speculative housing craze is crashing from its own excesses, not Federal Reserve action.

None of this will be sufficient to offset the mass exit by speculators and the hesitation of builders to slash production in the face of falling sales.

A house-price collapse will be far worse than the 2000--02 bear market on Wall Street and will bring a serious global recession. Half of households own stocks or mutual funds, but 69% own homes. The resulting unemployment will kill many subprime borrowers' ability to make payments. Both Toll Brothers at the high end and dr Horton in the starter market will suffer.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that what caused the housing implosion was another implosion.

----9/11---------

Anonymous said...

Good for Forbes. The sooner the mainstream gets a clue, the sooner the ugly part get going, then we can start picking up the pieces 36 months from now instead of extending it another year.

Metroplexual said...

Keith,

Is there any place in the PHX area that you would consider nice enough to raise a family?

Anonymous said...

I'm tired of hearing all this 'soft landing' BS from the housing industrial complex.

Anonymous said...

I watched the Local Orlando, (FL) TV News @ WFTV and a statistic was quoted last night, which
I wrote down for you readers of Keith's blog.

71% of the thousands of Downtown Orlando Condo owners have not filed homestead exemption, according to the local tax records. Many of these condos sit empty.

I tried to find and Internet link to the story and was unsuccessful.

Anonymous said...

Housing can only crash, there's nowhere upward to go and the inventories around the nation show that people have finally figured out that if they want to transform their supposed "equity" into cash before prices far too low, they have to sell now..but..it's too late. "now" ended last year by July 2005. That's why I sold my house in Las Vegas at the top of the market in June 05 and moved to the midwest where I used that bubble equity turned to cash to pay cash for my home here on 4.3 acres and 8 miles from a medium-sized city. I used to worry about being caught in the bubble burst, now I thank God I got out when I did. Most though waited too long, or, if they had no plans on selling, they were stupid enough to cash out their equity for consumer purchasing and now find themselves with mortgages owing more than their houses are worth, or will be worth...and they are beginning to panic.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit home equity loans site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bad credit individual loan personal site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bad credit individual loan personal site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!