January 08, 2006

VERY IMPORTANT ARTICLE: Shanghai's hot housing market has fizzled after a run-up fed by speculators (hello Phoenix, Vegas and Miami - you're next)


This ugly article from Shanghai shows what happens when white-hot speculative market turns quickly (as it always does) to stone-cold panic mode. Substitute "Miami", "Vegas" or "Phoenix" for "Shanghai" to get a preview of what's coming here...

I believe this is one of the most significant articles I've read on the bubble - because it is showing us in a microcosim what is to come in the hyper-speculative US cities. I recommend reading the entire article (especially folks in Miami, Phoenix and Vegas!). This is real folks. Not theory. It's happening.

Once one of the hottest markets in the world, sales of homes have virtually halted in some areas of Shanghai, prompting developers to slash prices and real estate brokerages to shutter thousands of offices.

For the first time, homeowners here are learning what it means to have an upside-down mortgage — when the value of a home falls below the amount of debt on the property.

Recent home buyers are suing to get their money back. Banks are fretting about a wave of default loans.

"The entire industry is scaling back," said Mu Wijie, a regional manager at Century 21 China, who estimated that 3,000 brokerage offices had closed since spring. Real estate agents, whose phones wouldn't stop ringing a year ago, say their incomes have plunged by two-thirds.

Shanghai's housing slump is only going to worsen and imperil a significant part of the Chinese economy, says Andy Xie, Morgan Stanley's chief Asia economist in Hong Kong.

Shanghai's housing bust comes after a doubling of prices in the previous three years, a run-up fueled by massive speculation. With China's economy booming and Shanghai at the center of worldwide attention, investors from Hong Kong, Taiwan and elsewhere were buying as fast as buildings were going up. At least 30% to 40% of homes sold were bought by speculators, says Zhang Zhijie, a real estate analyst at Soufun.com Academy, a research group in Shanghai.

"Ordinary people had no option but to follow the trend," Zhang said. "Worrying that prices would be even more unaffordable tomorrow, many of them borrowed from relatives and banks to buy as soon as possible."

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent excerptation. It does indeed sound just like what has gone on in the U.S. bubble cities, including the denial: "other analysts say the problem is largely confined to Shanghai."

I wonder if that story is true about the guy who jumped off his building. Take an umbrella if you're walking near The Stratosphere in Vegas in 2007.

Marinite said...

I believe this is one of the most significant articles I've read on the bubble

Except for the fact that the Chinese government was deliberately trying to pop their housing bubble. Our gvt/Fed has not (yet) gone so far and I seriously doubt they will.

blogger said...

marinite - you actually believe the fed is raising because of inflation?

they're raising because of the houing bubble. and will continue to do so until it pops.

the chinese have let their economy grow out of control. they don't know what they're doing - they're capitalism novices - and they're now bound to crash

and our crash will be sped up when they 1) revalue their currency and 2) stop buying our bonds

Marinite said...

keith b -

Our gov/Fed has not gone to the extremes that China's have gone.

Banks were ordered to raise their best rate on home loans to 5.5% from 5%. Home buyers were required to make down payments of at least 30%, up from 20%. A 5.5% capital gains tax on home sellers' profits was imposed. Beijing also levied a 5% tax on the sale price of homes sold before two years of ownership.

That's what I mean. And I am not willing to engage in conspiratorial thinking as to why the Fed has been raising short term rates.

blogger said...

marinite - I stand corrected. I forgot about the requirement the Chinese government put on new home loans.

Anyone see our government getting involved in any way with home loan requirements?

Anonymous said...

"Anyone see our government getting involved in any way with home loan requirements?"

Nope. NFW.

Congress never gets involved until after all the damage has been done. I see their role in this country as I have come to see the role of police: despite what we are told to believe, they are not there to prevent crimes, they only process victims.

Chairman Gasoline supposed and perhapsed and howevered about increasing margin requirements during the tech stock bubble when crap was doubling and tripling in six months and that's as far as it went. And that bubble was far worse than this one in speed and relative gains.

Marinite said...

fruitcake -

Unfortunately, guidelines are not the same thing as regulation or law. I so wish they were.

jmc said...

This article brings a (slightly) new meaning to the term "Shanghaied"!

Anonymous said...

To some extent, it may alreday be happening:

1) Risky home loan standards tightening:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/06/real_estate/exotic_mortgages_guidelines/index.htm

2) Interest rates are increasing:
http://www.forecasts.org/prime.htm

3) Tax deductions:
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/10242005_Home_Mortgage_Interest_Deduction.asp

These changes ultimately may not happen but the facts is - they are on the table. May be, Chinese are more prudent to deliberately deflate the bubble before the situation goes out of hand.

In our case, we also have twin deficit to worry about.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my amortization mortgage payment site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my amortization mortgage payment site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my amortization mortgage payment site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my amortization schedule calculation site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my amortization tables site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my amortization table calculate site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my amortization table calculate site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my tax increment financing site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a stock footage site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a stock footage site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a stock footage site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit individual loan personal site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.